Monday, January 12, 2009

One Week

Last night I saw one of the movies in the Fringe Flicks series. It was called One Week.

It was about a young man in Toronto who was diagnosed with cancer. Before starting treatment he bought an old motor bike on the spur of the moment and headed west.

It was thought provoking and at times funny.

My gut reaction when I walked out of the theatre was, "I am so glad I didn't wait until I was diagnosed with cancer before I hit the road." On the other hand, I'm also older than the protagonist. About ten years ago, when I was in my mid forties, school friends started dying, one by one.

So it was a while ago that a sense of my mortality started to build up. Eventually it reached the point that the thought of dying before I'd lived was intolerable.

No comments: